9.9.14

Everglades Ranch


Today I went on my fourth feature hunt in my 2.5 weeks here at the Naples Daily News, which has been really a great way to explore an area that I'm learning is actually very diverse. I tend to try to get out of town for features, especially in a place like Naples where there is so much town around.

Although Everglades Ranch is just a hop away from I-75, a state forest and wildlife preserve protects it from all traffic noise. It's been awhile since I've had the feeling of being away from a lot of people. There's an internal tension created by the noise and business of everything that builds up, even if very gradually, and is easily relieved by just finding somewhere quiet!

I found a nice story while there as well. Tracey used to live in Pennsylvania, where she met her close friend and stable-neighbor JoAnne. Tracey moved to Florida, but when JoAnne passed from lung cancer this May, Tracey brought her horse, Braveheart, to Everglades Ranch to take care of him. Pictured is Tracey riding and petting Braveheart.