6.8.17

Stikine I




I
I lived in Ketchikan, Alaska twice. The first time was for only a few months in the spring of 2015, with a recent knee surgery determining my limits on and off the island's small, but beautiful trail system. The second time, that fall, I was eager to find people with whom I could get cold, wet, lost, and maybe a little scared. Within the first week of arrival, I knocked on the door of Fire Station 6, after hearing a rumor that the Ketchikan Volunteer Rescue Squad was building a small bouldering wall. It was there and on that very day I would meet many of the people who opened their doors and their gear closets to me. I borrowed scuba gear from Eric and Kara, skis from Quentin, tools from Shawn, car advice and elbow grease from Andrew, the list goes on. KVRS is responsible for so much of my good feelings for Ketchikan. At that initial meeting, I asked everyone about climbing in the Misty Fjords. Talk to Shawn, they said.